You use them every day, but how much do you think about your makeup brushes? Here are 10 tips on how to choose and care fore the right makeup brush for you:
1. Decide if you want natural hair, or synthetic. Some stylists believe natural hair brushes are better for certain applications. However, synthetic hair technology has improved to the point where many people cannot tell the difference. If you have ethical objections to products using animal hair, you can get awesome results using cruelty-free synthetic bristle brushes. And still feel good about yourself!
2. If you want to use natural hair, sable is best for small brushes because of their snap and resilience. The best is called “kolinsky sable,” from the tail of the male weasel. Goat hair is popular for use in large face brushes. Squirrel and badger hair is also used in good quality brushes. You may see something called “camel” which is actually horse hair, used in less expensive brushes.
3. Synthetic hairs (typically Taclon and Nylon) have improved significantly with modern technology. They are less expensive and for some applications arguably superior to natural hair brushes. Synthetic foundation, concealer and lip brushes are often better than their natural hair counterparts because they do not soak up the creamy makeup.
4. Brush construction can be either plastic or wood handles. They should be wide and long enough for you to comfortably use them as intended.
5. The ferrule (the metal cylinder that clamps the bristles to the handle) should fit tightly and should be seamless (with no weld or joint). Brass, nickel and steel rings are all suitable. Aluminum ferrules are less expensive but weaker. Ferrules should be nickel plated or coated for corrosion resistance. Give a light tug to the bristles to see that the ferrule has secured them to the handle firmly.
6. Ultimately, you have to test the brush. The best brush is the one that works for you and fits your budget.
7. Avoid brushes sold under a makeup brand. They are usually marked up at very high prices, but have no special advantage in quality. Usually you get what you pay for in makeup brushes. But sometimes you get less!
8. Don’t buy one at a time. Once you have found good quality brushes, it is much cheaper to buy by the set rather than by piece. You can save 1/3 or more buying smart.
9. Take care of your brushes. Once a month, mix warm water with a little shampoo for natural hair bristles or dish soap for synthetics. Swish the brushes around, rinse well, blot with paper towels, and lay them flat until they're completely dry. A good brush can last years if well cared for.
10. If you don’t have time to clean your brushes regularly, just accept that your busy lifestyle doesn’t allow that, and replace your brushes regularly. Twice a year works for most people. Brushes that are not cleaned properly will get dirty, clumped with makeup and can harbor harmful microorganisms.
Here are some tips to get the best experience possible out of this luxury spa skin care product. You'll note they are as much mental and spiritual as physical. I truly believe beauty starts from the inside, by taking time to experience peace and joy.
It helps to use a gentle face cleanser first, to remove surface oil and dirt. Many customers prefer to use the mud mask right after a shower, when the skin surface is clean, and pores are opened up. This allows the mud mask to penetrate the surface layer of epidermis.
After washing or showering, you can leave your face slightly damp to make application of the mud mask easier.
Apply generously and rub gently to apply the mud mask to your face. Let the mask dry for approximately 10 minutes. During that time, it will be doing its job of purifying and rebalancing your skin. Use the time to practice mindfulness. If you can't keep your mind still, then try composing a haiku poem to put yourself in a relaxed and pampered state of mind. If all else fails, just spend 10 minutes listing people and things who are blessings in your life.
Once dry, use a thick, damp cotton cloth to gently remove the mask. If you prefer a modern microfiber towel, that's fine too. Gentle circular motions will remove the mask, massage your skin and give a final exfoliating experience.
A final rinse to remove any remaining particles will leave your face cleansed, toned, balanced and reconditioned. Savor the feeling. Think of one last thing in your life that you are thankful for, and take that feeling with you as you finish your spa moment.
As with any skincare product, you should test on a patch of skin on your arm first, before using on your face, and discontinue use if you notice any redness or irritation. Also as with all mud masks, this product can discolor cloth. We recommend you set a wash towel aside for use with this mask and clean it regularly in a separate load.
If you love the mud mask, you'll also love these other great Hokkuu products.
Our Hokkuu™ Certified Organic line of products meet the highest standards set by government and industry certification agencies. The use of the word "Organic" and the USDA Certified Organic symbol are tightly regulated by law.